The Field Is White

The Field Is White
Doctrine & Covenants 4:4

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

November Communications

Nothing much to write about this week, just Elder Burrell is getting transferred. I will be sending your Christmas Present sometime this week or next Monday.  The missionaries call Jacksonville the "Land of Milk and Honey" there are so many people here who are ready to receive the Gospel.  On Saturday, we had a total of five baptisms in the District!  I didn't have one.  But we will be having one in January, hopefully a few.  The people we have recently found are really solid and want to be baptized!  Hope you have a great week!  Love you!
Love,
Elder Beach


November 24
All the missionaries spoke in Sacrament meeting yesterday. We each spoke on one of the 4 missions of the church:
·         Proclaiming the Gospel
·         Redeeming the Dead
·         Helping the Poor and Needy
·         and Perfecting the Saints
I spoke on Redeeming the Dead.  I must be getting really good at speaking now.  I was supposed to talk for a lot longer than I had written my talk to last, but I ended going a little bit over. But here is my talk:

Redeeming the Dead

1.  What does it mean?
          There are many ways to redeem the dead, one of which is Baptism for the dead.  Now to those who are unfamiliar with that phrase, we do not baptize dead bodies.  We stand in proxy, or substitute for our ancestor or someone else who has died.

2.  Why do we redeem the dead?
          Paul talks about Baptisms for the Dead in 1 Corinthians 15. In verse 29 it says:
          "Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all?           why are they then baptized for the dead?"
                   We are baptized for the dead because we know that they will rise again, just as Christ did.  By performing these ordinances, we give them an opportunity to receive the gospel.

3.  How do we redeem the dead?
Doing work for others is accomplished in two steps:
          First, by family history research to find our ancestors; and second, by performing the temple ordinances
          3a. Do family history work
                   We are lucky enough to have a Family History Center here at the building and to receive any help from a Family History Consultant.  We as members of the church have the opportunity to have free accounts with FamilySearch.org, Ancestor.com and other Family Search sites.
          3b. Baptism for the dead 
                   After you have found your Ancestors you can then get the paper work to take to the temple to perform the Baptism.
          3c. Other Temple work
          There are other ordinances to be performed in the temple like being sealed to your family for all time and eternity!  Where with the Priesthood Authority, a couple is married to each other forever, even after death.
Temple and family history work is one work divided into two parts. They are connected together like the ordinances of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost.

My Dad is very big into Family History.  He has traced our family back to the 1500's.  You learn so much about your ancestors.  I have a relative who was convicted in the Salem Witch Trials for witchcraft.  I think it is so amazing that we have the technology to kinda see what it was like in the early years of the church and what our ancestors did.  I have had the opportunity to research some of my own ancestors and stand in proxy for some of the ordinances they needed.  Family History work is definitely a testimony builder that our Heavenly Father is a Just God, and Loves all of his children.  He loves us so much he gives us a second chance to receive the Gospel if those who haven't or didn't have a chance.

Genealogical work is something that we can do here on earth, and it will remain in heaven.  So instead of playing video games for a few hours, take at least one hour of whatever you are doing and find something new about your ancestors.



This week went pretty great. We found 2 new investigators. One of which just makes me sad.  He has completely given up on himself and in God.  He has definitely been through a lot, but we are doing our best to help him.  He is homeless right now. We met with him at a Gas Station, I asked if he had any food and he just stayed quiet.  I then asked again and he said he did.  Then I asked if that was true? and he didn't say anything again.  So I bought him a few things that I could, cause I mean it was a gas station.  I got him some milk, chips and some chili.  It just makes me so sad that there are really so many people out there that are homeless and do not have food.  I definitely want to try to make a change in that when I get home.

But that was pretty much all that happened this week. Hope you have a great week! love you!
Love,
Elder Beach


November 17, 2014
Yeup, so I just found out I have bed bugs... My arms and legs are covered in mosquito-like bites. Well at least I think they're bed bugs?  Only reasonable thing. I'm going to call the housing coordinator...
Momma Beach told Elder Beach that it was FREEZING in Salt Lake!  “…it is 23 degrees right now!”
Elder Beach’s reply:  That's not freezing mom. Try 23 degree weather WITH 75-80% humidity! I hate humidity...Love ya!

Found this gem on Elder Steingraber's FB page


November 10, 2014
We have one investigator right now, who was a referral we received when I was transferred to Jacksonville.  So I don't think Elder Kilborne would know anyone we're teaching right now and YES I LOVE THE ABNEY'S! (senior couple)  They are so awesome!  Elder Abney is a retired marine.  He is such a stud.  I hope to turn out at least half the man he is.  He teaches Institute here.  He is just so spiritual.  I can definitely see him being a General Authority in the near future! Sister Abney is awesome too!  She makes sure we don't go hungry!  She gave us potatoes the other day.

You are not going to like this.

So, this member in the ward owns a MMA Gym. He's teaching us Ju Jitsu, I kinda really like it. He said I would be really good at it since I am smaller and fast. :D What if I started competing in Ju Jitsu when I get back? :D


Also, I have fallen in love..... in love with the southern accent. Like, It's just so freaking attractive!  I need to marry a Southern Belle.


















We had the awesome opportunity and privilege of attending Elder Carson Buckner's Homecoming!!!  Elder Buckner was Elder Beach's Trainer!  and he was there to nurse Elder Beach back to health during his accident.  I don't know why but this Momma Beach didn't prepare herself or think that the newly returned E.B. would talk about my E.B. but it sure was a pleasant surprise and really started the water works.


Excerpt from Email:  

Elder Parker Beach wrote:  haha you are such a cry baby....
and this is why:
On Mon, Nov 10, 2014, Tasha Beach wrote: 
Elder Bucker spoke on service and his experiences with service – service to members and investigators and his companions.  He started out by saying that “…it began in August of 2013, August 27th to be exact” (that's when I started to cry because I knew he was going to talk about you.)  He explained the crash, how it happened and about you jumping up and giving the 2 thumbs up sign and then going to the library and you getting really light headed and calling the Johnson's… the hospital, doctors visits and having to stay indoors. Also about how you were really discouraged and asking why did this happen to me and that he told you about the currant bush and God tears us down so that we can grow and become stronger.

Photos from Elder Carson Buckner's Homecoming - November 9, 2014 - Cedar Hills

Elder Buckner was Elder Beach's Trainer and they were companions for 6 months!!  We sure love Elder Buckner and it's just weird to call him Carson now!

Buckner, Young and Kilborne

Elder Buckner had a NC Flag and had each of his comps sign it... I just about burst into tears when I saw this!

Carson's Mom, Sheryl is very talented and made a NC Flag Quilt for her son.  Life Goals - I want to be like Sheryl!!  She is amazing and so loving and treated us just like family.  I'm so upset I forgot to get a picture with her.

When I met Elder Kilborne (Kameron) at the Homecoming, I KNEW I had seen him before!  Here's my proof!

No comments:

Post a Comment